If you are having issues completing video selfie for uniqueness verification or ID doc verification, please check and attempt the following:
Quality of webcam
- Make sure your laptop or desktop is on a flat surface. Look straight at the camera and carefully follow the instructions on the screen.
- Keep your face framed in the green oval.
- Take photos in an evenly-lit room and ensure there is no glare or reflection.
- Ensure there is no back or side-lighting causing shadows or partial darkness on the photos.
- Ensure the photo is not washed out.
If you have multiple webcams, you can go to your browser settings and choose the default camera you wish to use. If you’re using Chrome, follow these instructions to choose your default camera:
- Go to ‘Settings’
- Click on ‘Privacy & Security’
- Go to ‘Site Settings’
- Under ‘Permissions’ on the Site Settings page, click on ‘Camera’
- Click on the drop-down arrow and select the camera you wish to use as your default camera
Using Brave browser
If you’re using Brave, you may be encountering an error that says “cross-site device recognition blocked”. To by-pass this error, please disable your shields.
For Civic Pass ID doc verification only
In addition to your browser, Civic Pass ID doc verification can also be completed using the Civic app. When prompted for video selfie, you may select the option on the screen "Use your phone"
- You will be directed to a page where you must scan a QR code with your mobile device's rear camera or your QR code scanner app
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete your video selfie with your front camera
If you still have issues with this, please feel free to contact our support team and include a screenshot of the issue(s) and error message(s) you’re experiencing.