During the identity verification process, you will need to pass a Document Verification and a Liveness Test. If Civic Wallet is not able to verify you through our automated systems, your request will be sent to our team for further manual review. Please check your emails or within the app for verification status updates.
Identity verification can fail when we are unable to ascertain with confidence that the document is genuine and valid, or that the photograph on the document bears matching likeness with the image from the liveness test.
Tip: You can view the status of the verification within Civic Wallet. From the home screen, click Check Status.
Below are some tips on how to improve results from document scanning and liveness test.
When scanning a document, make sure:
- Photo is visible
- All borders are visible
- The document is flat on a solid-colored, dark surface
- The document is not blocked by fingers or other obstructions
- The camera points straight down, not angled, onto the photo
- There is no glare on the document, text, or holograms
- To follow the prompts on the screen which will guide you to a better picture
- Document is not expired
- Document is not hand-written
- Document is on our list of supported identity documents
If your camera flash is firing, the flash may create a reflection or glare on the document photo that obstructs the document details. Try:
- Taking the photo at a slight angle to the document
- Taking photos in a brightly lit room or,
- Using a lamp or other light source to light the document from the side
- Do not angle the camera
- Do not look down - look straight at your camera
- Make sure there is no glare
- Follow the prompts on the screen including the distance of the camera from your face
- Take photos in a well-lit room
- Take photos in an evenly lit room
- Ensure there is no back or side-lighting causing shadows or partial darkness on the photos
- Ensure there is no glare or reflection
- Ensure the photo is not washed out
If you are having issues with your selfie or document photo, retry in different rooms and varying lighting conditions.
If you continue to have trouble with verification, submit a support request below.